Technology Usage Within the K-9 School System

I do not have much experience with AI technologies. As AI is a newly developing technology, I have not fully began to use or understand it. Within my own work and schooling, the use of AI is strictly prohibited. It is due to this that I have not had the desire to attempt using it or to learn about it. It has become increasingly known to me that AI will become a bigger part of the future and that I should learn more about it and how to use it. 

Within my practicum placement in a grade six classroom, I have not seen much technology being used. The only form of technology that I have seen used is the smart board by my mentor teacher. My mentor teacher frequently utilizes the smart board during her lessons. The reason that my mentor teacher frequently uses it is because it is easily visible to all of the students as well as it is easy to show and create lesson expectations, examples, and more. I do hope that I will see more technology used within my practicum as technology plays a large role in modern society.

I do wonder whether or not if technology, especially AI tools, will become more normalized within the K-9 school system. Additionally, I am curious as to how the use of technology affects the students. Is technology beneficial to student learning? Or does it produce a more negative affect?

The reason that these questions are important to me is because I understand how large of a role technology plays within society. As a student I believe that technology is beneficial as it helps me to more efficiently complete my assignments but that is because technology makes it easier and quicker. But from the perspective of an educator, will I notice that students begin to use their technology in negative ways? For example, if a computer is always accessible, will students use it for calculations during math rather than efficiently learning how to do them without technology?

Comments

  1. Hey Kia, great blog post! I am in the same boat as I am new to the AI technologies. I think it is important that we learn how to use it to our advantage, especially in the classroom setting. It is cool to see that students in the younger grades are fluent in technology and understand how to use it. "Ipad kids" for example are exploring the internet and technology and learning how to navigate it. I love your burning question, I asked the same thing. I want to know the statistics on whether or not there are negative or positive effects of the use of technology in the younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Medveszek, I enjoyed your blog post. I am curious to know how much your grade 6 class will be using the Chromebooks considering the younger grades in your school use them often. I am also curious if technology is going to become more normalized. Good luck with your 6th graders!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Twitter Account

Mini Technology Lesson